This Master is linked to GRITIM-UPF (Interdisciplinary Research Group on Immigration). Programme in Migration Studies focuses on qualitative research in the Mediterranean area. Additionally, the Department of Political and Social Sciences of the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona) and the Institute for Human and Social Sciences of University of Liège (Belgium) offer the double degree programme in Migration Studies. Students will graduate with a Master Degree in Sociology from the University of Liège and a Master Degree in Migration Studies from the Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
At the UPF the academic year is divided into three terms: the first term runs from September to December, the second term from January to March and the third term from April to June. Each term consists of 10 weeks of classes and 2 weeks for the exams. Master is a total of 60ECTS
Political Science and Sociology
We can accept students for partial time as visiting-Erasmus students during the last trimester for their Master Thesis, and they can also be incorporated in the Research Seminar sessions we offer to our Master students through the full year.
We can request the student to do a presentation of their Master Thesis in GRITIM-UPF with other Master students, and if requested, we can provide a certificate form for his/her curriculum. A limited number of students will be accepted.
UPF recommends exchange students to have at least a MCER B1 level of Spanish and or a B2 level of English.
- Official undergraduate degree/diploma.
- Academic transcript of the accredited official training with the average grade at the university of origin.
- Curriculum Vitae in Spanish, English or Catalan.
- A letter of motivation in Spanish, English or Catalan, stating the candidate's interest in following the master's programme (400 to 600 words).
- Two academic letters of recommendation.
- Proof of English language (level B2)
- Identity Card or Passport.
- Proof of Spanish language (level B2)
- Proof of Catalan language (level B1)
- Proof of other languages.
- Undergraduate degree of 240 ECTS credits.
- Professional experience in any of the fields related to the master's programme.
- Research experience.
- Teaching experience.
- Additional academic training in areas related to the master's programme.
- Additional professional experience.
Information on Student Guide, International students, Student participation, Teaching assessment, Library and IT Services, Services and Procedures, and Queries can be found here https://www.upf.edu/web/master-migration-studies/practical-information-for-students
Information on health coverage, housing, Cost of living, students with disabilities, integration activities can be found here https://www.upf.edu/web/incoming/exchange-students-before-your-application
Information on living expenses, Visa and immigration can be found here https://www.upf.edu/web/incoming/exchange-students-prepare-your-stay
Information on insurance can be found here https://www.upf.edu/web/barcelona/cobertura-medica
Nomination and application procedure for pre-selected incoming candidates
- Nomination deadline
- First term (Autumn): April 30
- Second and/or third term (Spring): September 30
For each nominated student, the home institution must include the following information:
- SURNAME – In capital letters
- Name – In lower case letters
- Email address
- Trimester of stay – UPF structures its academic calendar in terms:
- 1st trimester: from late September to late December
- 2nd trimester: from January to late March or early April
- 3rd trimester: from early April to late June
- Type of Study (Bachelor/Master)
- Study Area – Should match UPF’s study areas
After students are nominated by their home university, UPF will contact them directly with further information about the on-line registration and the necessary documents.
More information on the nomination procedure can be found here https://www.upf.edu/web/incoming/exchange-students-before-your-application
First term (Autumn): May 30
Second and/or third term (Spring): October 30
Contact person and further details
EuMIGS academic coordinators:
Ricard Zapata Barrero
Partners and Agreements- International Relations Service
EuMIGS administrative contacts:
Sara Lopez Selga
International Relations Service
Carmen Itzel Ruiz